Sunday, January 21, 2007

News from Kirsten Lees


I was tempted to come to the reunion in July last year – and if an intended trip to the UK had eventuated, I would certainly have made the familiar trek to Birmingham New Street, then the bus out to the campus to be part of the 20th year celebration. I left Birmingham on the last day of exams, I think, and haven’t been back since. I have been busy though. Life-after-Brum started with a fabulous year in Barcelona teaching, then I was lured to Australia where we have family, for a three month trip that lasted for a number of years. I worked as a researcher for Penguin books out here, and then did a lot of publishing work, mainly educational. In 1994 I had my first book published – a history book – and I returned to the UK to work in New Media and Management Consultancy. It was all great fun, but not a lot to do with Voltaire & co. although I may have dropped a few lines from Sartre in the pub after a couple of pints, from time to time.

In 1998/9 I did a Masters in Business at London Business School and learned that people who could quote 17th century French philosophers could also do accounting and gamble money on the stock market. The insight into the business world – the international business community – was an eye opener, and as much a cultural challenge to me as learning a new language has ever been.

In 1999 I married Mark in South Africa (well, why not?) and lured him out to Aus on an extended honeymoon. Eight years, three children and a hefty mortgage later we are still here. I have recently published ‘Let go of my leg: how to get the working life you want out of children’ in the UK with Prentice Hall. It ain’t bad, as these things go, and is being translated in other European languages which is great – but please may they not ask me to do the translations! I work for myself, writing, speaking and cleaning up after children. I will be in the UK in July and August this year – can’t wait. My website is http://www.kirstenlees.com and I also have a blog http://www.letgoofmyleg.blogspot.com if you are interested.